Congratulations to the MCC, who have won this season’s Hamilton Russell Cup.
There were two important results this week. The RAC dropped a point drawing to The Reform, but it made no difference as the MCC beat Chelsea Arts to achieve an unassailable lead.
The RAC at home to The Reform drew 4-4.
- Roger Emerson ½ v ½ Richard Hall
- Lee Green ½ v ½ Nicholas Cron
- Fred Edge ½ v ½ Peter Evans
- Robert Feather 0 v 1 Richard Saunders
- Henry Mutkin 0 v 1 Danny Rosenbaum
- Rob Matthews 1 v 0 Konstantin Yelin
- Paul Weston 1 v 0 Ken Tweedie
- Francis Kershaw ½ v ½ Paul Hendrick
The MCC away from home beat Chelsea Arts 2-4
Richard Black v Tom Eckersley-Waites 0-1
Izzie Thomas v Adam Eckersley-Waites 0-1
David Cohen v Ian Reynolds 1-0
Matt Flowers v Ed Goodall 0-1
Mike Radcliffe v Nick Collacott 0-1
Joe Coles v David Bates 1-0
Here is the final table (click on it to expand)
With just two matches left to play in the Cup, the MCC have overtaken their rivals and currently sit top of the Hamilton Russell table. They beat the RAC away from home 3-5. The friendly boards ended 1.5-1.5.
Match card for the Cup match (RAC player listed first in board border)
Roger Emerson ½ v ½ Tom Eckersley-Waites
Nigel Povah ½ v ½ Adam Eckersley-Waites
Henry Strausser 1 v 0 Dominic Lawson
Natasha Regan 0 v 1 Gary Senior
Stephen Meyler ½ v ½ Ian Reynolds
Lee Green 0 v 1 Ed Goodall
Trevor Dunmore 0 v 1 Nick Collacott
Wayne Clark ½ v ½ Chris Waites
The RAC ended up playing this ‘away’ fixture at home and won 5-1 in the Cup. The Chelsea Arts won the two friendly boards. Match card (in board order with RAC player first):
Natasha Regan 1 v 0 Richard Black
Stephen Meyler ½ v ½ Izzie Thomas
Lee Green ½ v ½ David Cohen
Trevor Dunmore 1 v 0 Matt Flowers
Wayne Clark 1 v 0 Mike Radcliffe
Rob Matthews 1 v 0 Lino Mannocci
Godfrey Jillings 0 v 1 Marc Wolff
Ian Takats 0 v 1 John Leighton
The RAC defeated The Athenaeum 3.5-2.5 at home in the Cup. The friendly boards were tied 1-1.
- Roger Emerson 0 v 1 Peter Lee
- Natasha Regan 1 v 0 Stephen Lowe
- Stephen Meyler ½ v ½ Russell Campbell
- Lee Green 0 v 1 Felix Oyens
- Fred Edge 1 v 0 David Shanklands
6. Wayne Clark 1 v 0 David Tayor
The RAC beat the combined East India and Oriental team 4.5 – 1.5 at home in the Cup. EIC/ORI won the two friendly boards.
- Roger Emerson ½ v ½ Sam Franklin
- Stephen Meyler 0 v 1 Yaroslav Voropayev
- Lee Green 1 v 0 Robert McClatchey
- Fred Edge 1 v 0 Edward Brown
- Trevor Dunmore 1 v 0 Colin Ferguson
- Robert Matthews 1 v 0 Callum Lee
Congratulations to the National Liberal Club on the success of their excellent initiative, holding the first recorded inter-club lightning chess tournament.
Congratulations also go to the winner of the Ming Vase – Richard Hughes of the RAC.
Ben Widdicombe of the NLC has written a thoroughly entertaining account of the event on the excellent National Liberal Club Chess website. For more information, please read Ben’s full report
The RAC beat the Oxford & Cambridge 5.5-2.5
Roehampton lost to the MCC 1.5-5.5
The National Liberal Club lost to The Reform 1.5-3.5